Salem is a city in Salem district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
A 21-year-old woman from Salem committed suicide at her residence on Monday after images of her face were morphed on scantily clad women and uploaded on Facebook.
The family has decided to take the body back and give the officials two days time period to arrest the culprits. Also, the two police officials, one who allegedly took the bribe and the other who interrogated her inappropriately will be suspended.
Morphed photographs on Facebook drove a 21-year-old girl from Salem to commit suicide. Vinupriya, who was shocked to find her face morphed on to scantily clad women, committed suicide on Monday at her residence.
In her suicide note, Vinupriya a BSc graduate mentioned that she took the drastic measure as she was unable to bear the stigma. Her parents had filed a complaint with the Magudanchavadi Police following the incident.
The family alleged that their complaints fell on deaf ears as the police did not take any action after they filed a complaint.
Unidentified persons had morphed her image a week ago and tagged her on Facebook. She came to know about the incident after her friends informed her about it. Her body has been sent to Salem general hospital. Sources said that despite the repeated pleas by the family, the police did not take any action.
“We have lost our child, we have nothing more to do. Had officials taken down the page when we complained, this date might not have come for our child,” cried Annadurai, Vinupriya’s father.
Here’s how it happened
- Friends informed Vinupriya that images of her face morphed on scantily clad woman was being circulated on social media.
- According to her family, she has been using the social media site for over four years.
- On June 23, Vinupriya’s father Annadurai filed a complaint with the SP of Salem district, Amit Kumar Singh requesting immediate action.
- The complaint was later forwarded to Magudanchavadi Police station. According to the family, the police failed to take action in time.
- Sources added that the police assured them that they will nab the accused with the help of cyber crime cell.
- Reportedly on Sunday another obscene picture of the deceased was uploaded on Facebook. The unidentified accused posted the image with the contact information of her father.
- Unable to contain her disappointment, Vinupriya committed suicide sometime on Monday afternoon when her parents were away.